Wii Party U is a Party game co-developed by NDcube and Nintendo, while also being published by Nintendo for the Wii U. It was announced in January 2013 and appeared at E3 2013 before being released on October the 25th, 2013. It's a sequel to the 2010 Wii game Wii Party. It sold 1,780,000 as of December 2018, making it one of the worst selling games in the Wii Series. However, it sold the best out of all the party games (including games that were not Wii Series related) on the Wii U.
There are two board games in Wii Party U that are like Board Game Island in Wii Party: Highway Rollers and GamePad Island. Over 80 different new minigames are available. Some modes allow players to play on the Wii U GamePad. There is also a new mode called GamePad Party that only uses the GamePad.
- TV Party
- House Party
- Button Smashers (2-4 players, 5-15 min)
- Name That Face (3-4 players, 15 min)
- Lost-and-Found Square (3-4 players, 5-20 min)
- Sketchy Situation (3-4 players, 20 min)
- Do U Know Mii? (3-4 players, 30 min)
- Water Runners (2-4 players, 10 min)
- Feed Mii! (3-4 players, 15 min)
- Dance with Mii (2-4 players, 10 min)
- GamePad Party
- Minigame Collection (1-4 players, 5 min)
- Freeplay Challenge (1-4 players, 5-30 min)
- Bridge Burners (2-4 players co-op, 15 min)
- Dojo Domination (1 player, 20 min)
- Battle of the Minigames (1-4 players, 15-25 min)
- Tabletop Minigames (1-2 players, 5 min)
- Animal Matchup (2 players, 5-15 min)
- Puzzle Blockade (2 players, 5-15 min)
Wii Party U received mixed or average reviews according to Metacritic with a score of 65, three points lower than Wii Party. The highest critic score was from Multiplayer.it who gave it an 83/100 with the lowest coming from Shacknews who gave it a 30/100. The user reviews where a bit more positive, but were still mixed or average with a score of 7.0.
- In this game, when the Miis make their happy faces, their eyes don't follow with how much they're tilted down or up. This doesn't happen in Wii Party for the Wii. Their eyes actually follow how much they have been tilted down or up.
- When a female Mii strikes a pose at the end of a minigame, her knees and feet will face each other. However, the male Miis have their knees and feet facing forward.
- Certain Mii Maker characters (such as macrons) will appear as "?" when playing this game. This likely means the game can not read them, so they appear as an question mark (?).
- In Minigame Collection, there is a glitch that causes two of the same Mii to appear at once. For example, two Polly's may show up as shown in this video.
- The glitch is not present in any other modes.
- This is done by going into 2 or 3 player modes, choosing a minigame, backing out at the instructions screen and returning to the Mii confirmation screen, then selecting a number of players higher than the number of players selected when choosing the minigame. If you are lucky, 2 of the same Mii will appear.
- On the JP Cover for Wii Party U, the GamePad appears white instead of black like the EU and NA Covers.