Miitopia is an RPG released for the 3DS in Japan on December 8, 2016. It was later released in North America and Europe on July 28, 2017. It is a spin-off to the Tomodachi series, and the second spin-off after Miitomo. In contrast to the life simulation focus implemented in previous installments, Miitopia is an RPG, likened to that of Tomodachi Quest, an event in Tomodachi Life. Despite this shift in focus, Miitopia retains many of the things that liven the experience of the main installments, such as Relationships, Food, Personalities, and others.
Not unlike the first spin-off, Miitomo, Miitopia scales down much of the aforementioned features in order to focus on the RPG aspect, but still manages to keep to the standard presented in previous games.
On February 17, 2021 in a Nintendo Direct, it was announced a Nintendo Switch port is going to be released on May 21st, 2021.
Differences from the main Tomodachi games
- Miitopia is an RPG, compared to the life-simulation style of the main installments.
- The Personality configuration has been altered dramatically. Rather than filling out a chart of how the Mii acts, with four base personalities having four sub-personalities stemming off of each, Miitopia has players choose from seven pre-established personalities: Cautious, Stubborn, Airheaded, Energetic, Kind, Laid-back, and Cool.
- The player cannot give Mii characters a voice. Instead, their voice is configured to match their personality.
- Mii characters do not have Problems in this game, not counting requests.
- There are no shops in the game; Grub can only be obtained by defeating enemies, not including HP Bananas and MP Candies, and Clothing can be obtained when a Mii requests it, and can also be obtained by finding chests.
- Mii characters cannot be imported by player input until the player completes the game.
- Mr. Tomo does not appear.
- Events occur at random, rather than a specific location.
- Mii characters cannot fall in love or get married, only being able to become friends.
- As a result, Miis also cannot have Babies.
- Sadness and Sleep are only featured as status ailments. They do not occur anywhere otherwise.
- Fights are more complicated in this game. In the main installments, fights were generally irrational and unpredictable. In Miitopia, a Mii can become angry at another Mii if they do something to them they do not like, such as using them unwillingly in an attack (ex: Human Cannonball).
- Mii Apartments does not appear. Instead, the Mii characters reside together in an Inn, and later a Villa after completing the game.
- The PEGI rating has been changed to 7 due to violence.
Differences between 3DS and Switch versions
- Upped graphics quality to go with Nintendo Switch's processing power.
- Make-up can be added to Mii characters
- Wigs can now be put onto Mii characters and colored
- The party gets a horse early on in the game, which they can bond with, use in combat, and even ride in levels.
- New events have been added.
- Due to the lack of a dual screen on the Switch, the UI has been adapted to the Switch screen.
- Due to Nintendo Switch Online, There is a new option for casting Miis known as "Default" which gives Miis that often come from official promos to be used as the role. This replaces the 3DS's function of assigning the roles to random Miis from the Wii U/3DS era.
- QR codes have been disabled due to becoming obsolete on Switch.
- It's no longer possible to combine in-game screenshots.
- SpotPass has been disabled due to having no use with Switch. It has been replaced by Access Keys.
- The letterbox shot of a Mii used the first time they activate a specific skill or quirk, now shows the Mii's whole face, instead of just their eyes.
- Miitopia's internal name is "mimic".
- The US version's tagline as seen in the official Nintendo website is "Your friends. Your adventure. Your rules.", a call back to Tomodachi Life's tagline "Your friends. Your drama. Your life." in the same region. Meanwhile, the European version omits the "Your rules." part, rendering the tagline as "Your friends, your adventure!"
- The game was rated 18+ in Russia, because the game depicts same-gender relationships.
- This game is rated PG by the Australian Classification Board due to violence.
Miitopia[a] is a role-playing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS. The game was released in Japan on the 8th of December 2016 and worldwide on the 28th of July 2017.
At the beginning of the game, you create your Mii and you pick from these jobs:
Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Theif, Pop Star, and Chef
When you arrive to Neskdor, you can pick three new jobs:
Scientist, Imp and Cat
In the last world, Realm of Fey, you will have three new and last jobs:
Tank, Princess and Flower.