A Boss is a Mii who you face at the end of a level in Swordplay Showdown. They can be the hardest Miis of a level, depending on your play style, and need to be defeated to finish a level. No boss is seen on any other level. They have 3 hearts, wield purple swords, and wear Black Armor in different styles, and attack in different styles.
Types of Armors
Black Armor has 3 different designs: Bulky, Obese, and Lanky. (Note: these names are non-canonical but they are used to differentiate between the different armor designs.)
- The Obese Armor is worn by Miguel and looks like a rounder, chubbier person with big legs.
- The Bulky Armor is worn by Matt and looks like they have regular bodies but have the big legs.
- The Lanky Armor is worn by Yoko and looks like a very skinny swordfighter with very skinny legs.
Starting on Level 10, the boss will be very defensive and will strike often. After Level 18, the boss starts to defend himself/herself if he/she fails to attack. In these cases, it is especially essential for you to reach the boss with all 3 hearts.
Bosses in each level
- Cole (Stage 1) (Skill level: 431+)
- Gabi (Stage 2) (Skill level: 1451+ [4th best])
- Miguel (Stage 3) (Skill level: 941+)
- Alisha (Stage 4) (Skill level: 326+)
- Hiromasa (Stage 5) (Skill level: 221+)
- Sarah (Stage 6) (Skill level: 521+)
- Marco (Stage 7) (Skill level: 1121+) (Pro)
- Asami (Stage 8) (Skill level: 71+ [5th worst])
- Anna (Stage 9) (Skill level: 1481+ [Vice Champion])
- Gabriele (Stage 10) (Skill level: 266+)
- Tomoko (Stage 11) (Skill level: 236+)
- Takashi (Stage 12) (Skill level: 1376+ [9th best])
- Marisa (Stage 13) (Skill level: 641+)
- Ian (Stage 14) (Skill level: 161+ [11th worst])
- Barbara (Stage 15) (Skill level: 536+)
- Shinta (Stage 16) (Skill level: 1421+ [6th best])
- Steph (Stage 17) (Skill level: 626+)
- Fritz (Stage 18) (Skill level: 731+)
- Yoko (Stage 19) (Skill level: 881+)
- Matt (Stage 20) (Skill level: 1496+ [Champion])
Tips and Need to Know Facts
- In some later stages, there are Miis that look and behave exactly like the bosses do, wearing the same black armor and being just as defensive and offensive, but are not actually bosses. Examples of this are two enemies in Level 10, who appear alongside the actual boss of the stage, Gabriele. The only difference between those non-boss Miis and the actual boss Miis are that the non-boss Miis have the same red sword as all the other enemies as opposed to the boss' purple swords, while the non-boss Miis are not always the same size as the boss. These types of enemies have a total of 4 variants, just like the bosses: Small, Small Thin, Lanky and Bulky.
- Despite some Miis being the Bosses of Swordplay Showdown, a Mii's role in Swordplay Showdown is otherwise not symbolic of their skill level in Duel and Speed Slice, as each boss' skill varies. For example, Asami the boss of level 8, but is very bad at Swordplay Duel with a skill level of 75; while Gabi the boss of level 2, but is a top PRO in Swordplay Duel/Speed Slice with a skill level of around 1455. This is also vice versa as well, as some Bosses are better at Swordplay Duel/Speed Slice, but are bad at Swordplay Showdown.
Specific Boss Tips
- Cole has very rare tendencies to attack, let alone defend, so try to hit him rapidly. He has a wide hitbox, due to him having the Bulky Black Armor.
- Gabi swings her sword frantically and proceeds to attack. She twirls her sword around frantically and attacks quite often, like Hiromasa. She is the first Boss to behave like this. Try to block as best as you can. She wears the Lanky Black Armor.
- Miguel is the only Boss out of them all that does not block when he gets near the player. Instead, he drags his sword on the floor while holding it. He does block when he spawns in, but as soon as he gets really close to the player, he stops blocking and starts dragging his sword onto the floor. Try to block him and don’t be intimidated. He also wears the Obese Black Armor.
- Alisha is the only boss that attacks you twice in a row if you let her hit you. Try to be precise. Tomoko exhibits this behavior, albeit periodically, so again, try to be precise. She also wears the Lanky Black Armor.
- Hiromasa is the only boss in the Normal Stages to be a bit more aggressive, as he attacks more quickly and swing his sword a bit more frantically than the other Swordplay Showdown bosses in the Normal Stages. Try to block often, and note that he is also has the Thin Lanky Black Armor, making him extra tall.
- Sarah is quite defensive and rarely strikes, usually in retaliation to the player. Try to align your sword with hers and whack her in rapid succession. In Swordplay Showdown, she wears the Lanky Black Armor.
- Marco is a lot like Sarah, as he defends himself a lot and rarely even attacks in Stage 7 of Swordplay Showdown. He also has a wider body, due to him having the Obese Black Armor. Do the same move set on him as you would to Sarah.
- Asami rarely attacks in Swordplay Showdown, and also defends a lot. She differs from her predecessors in that she has the Lanky Black Armor, therefore giving her a smaller hitbox. Despite being the successor to Marco, she has less total skill level.
- Anna Also rarely attacks and defends herself a lot, though her total skill level is much higher than other Miis. She has Lanky Black Armor as well.
- Gabriele is incredibly offensive. Try to block and pary him as often as possible. He wears the Bulky Black Armor.
- Tomoko attacks extremely quickly, quicker than the bosses in the Normal Stages, not holding back on any attacks on Stage 11, so it's best if you block. This is very similar to Gabriele, except she has a smaller hitbox and is faster.
- Takashi is very offensive and strikes often. Try to counter him the same way you would Gabriele. He wears Obese Black Armor.
- Marisa is very offensive and strikes often. Try to counter her the same way you would Gabriele. She also wears the Lanky Black Armor.
- Ian is very offensive and strikes often. Try to counter him the same way you would Gabriele. He also wears the Obese Black Armor.
- Barbara is very offensive and strikes often. Try to counter her the same way you would Gabriele. She wears the Bulky Black Armor.
- Shinta is very offensive and strikes often. Just like the last three smaller Bosses, Shinta attacks quickly, but will sometimes take a while to attack, though he does not block when he fails to attack. He wears Lanky Black Armor.
- Steph is very offensive and strikes often. Try to counter her the same way you would Gabriele. She wears the Obese Black Armor.
- Fritz will be the first Boss to immediately defend after failing an attack, so try to be precise and patient when attacking him. He wears the Bulky Black Armor.
- Yoko is essentially like Fritz but faster and stronger and has a smaller hitbox.. Be patient when attacking her. She wears Lanky Black Armor.
- Matt; the final Boss, is also like Yoko, except he is almost twice as fast. Be careful and try to hit him as you are battling his minions near him. He wears the Bulky Black Armor, and is way bigger than the other bosses.
- Both Small Black Armors are not worn by any of the Bosses in Swordplay Showdown. It's only a type of Armor that Non-Boss Miis (Haru, Tyrone, etc.) use.
- The only Bulky Non-Boss Black Armored Mii is George, and he only appears in the Final Stage.
- Ian, despite being a boss, appears as a Green Armored opponent in the picture used as a preview in Swordplay Showdown.
- Hiromasa is the only male Boss to wear a different type of Black Armor from the rest of the Male Bosses.
- Barbara and Steph have the same case, being the only Female Bosses to wear a different type of Black Armor from the rest of the Female Bosses.
- The Obese and Bulky Black Armored Bosses share the same legs.